Home Modification Options
When thinking about home modifications ask yourself these simple questions:
- Can I move from my house to the street with ease?
- Can I move around my home easily and safely?
- Can I use my kitchen easily and safely?
- Is my bathroom convenient and safe?
- Does the furniture arrangement in my home suit my needs?
- How conveniently can I do the laundry?
- Are all controls in the house accessible and easy to use?
We Have the Solutions for You
Considers human needs and abilities throughout the life span, serving the entire population regardless of age, stature, size or physical ability. Everyone benefits. Some features include:
- Lighting targeted for specific tasks
- Color selection to define spaces for people with visual problems
- Non-slip flooring
- Easy-open cabinetry
- Wider doorways
- Reinforced walls for grab bars and stair rails
- Electrical outlets within easy reach while sitting or standing
- Thoughtful kitchen and bath designs
- Flat thresholds
Modifications are those that are specific to the needs of the individual as a result of changing physical and mental conditions. Some examples include:
- A portable shower seat
- Adjustable counters and sinks
- Adjustable closet rods
- Locator lights on switches
- Off-set hinges
- Modular ramps
- Sliding shelving at appropriate heights
- Adaptive equipment such as reachers, raised toilet seats, personal care aids, transfer aids and home accessories
These are modifications that are not adjustable or easily removed, but can greatly increase independence, quality of life and ease caregiver responsibility. Some examples include:
- Transfer or roll-in shower
- Grab bars
- Stair glides
- Lift systems
- Low pile carpet for ease of wheelchair or walker mobility